Monday, April 23, 2007

Reading the water part.5

Undercut Banks

These are the honey holes of any river or stream, providing you know how to find them. These holes may have been cut over many years and can extend several feet into and under the bank of the river. Look for these undercuts on the bend of the stream. The sharper the bend in the river, the deeper the undercut.
Another place to look for an undercut is around shoreline trees. I'm not talking shrubs here, but large hardwood type trees such as oak and maple. These type of trees will often have large root systems. Which in turn can loosen the supporting soil at the river’s edge, and along with the force of the river, will form large cuts in and under the banks. Here are where many a trophy trout lies in ambush of their next meal. If I see a tree of this sort along a riverbank, I will make sure to enter the river well above it and make my first cast into this spot. Be sure to walk along the riverbank as gently as possible. There have been a few times where I was careless and saw what was a sure trophy, scoot away from the bank where I was just about to enter the river.

No comments: