Monday, June 9, 2008

2007 JBFC Title Fight


21.5" straight

Still 21.5" unless you can prove otherwise?

Wet net in sink measuring 10 + 10 = 20"

Dry net with 21.5" tubing in it measuring 10 + 10 = 20"



OK. I finally had time today to get the evidence required to determine if Phil's fish caught in Alberta in 2007 was larger than the fish Jason caught. Phil's was caught first in the Chungo River and was 21" in length. Jason's fish was caught on the final day, 20 feet from camp, in a large pool on the Blackstone River where the Wapiapi River dumps into it. Both fish were beautiful.





My net was used to measure Phil's fish and Jason's fish was measured against his rod. Mark Smith was present during both catches and measurements. Mainly because he is always available to measure and land the fish.....not having a fish of his own. Jason's fish measured in at 21.5" using a measuring tape at a later date against the rod. We have all acknowledged this form of measurement as OK for the JBFC and even better with someone there to witness it.





Below are pictures of my net. I cut a piece of plumbers tubing to 21.5" when straight. I bent the tube into the shape of the net when sitting with no weight or stress in the net. As not to stretch or scue the measurement. As you can see, both wet and dry, the net measures the 21.5" length as 20" on the nose.





So, my net is inaccurate. I assume due to the large and thick lines used to mark each inch. Or because the manufacturer is an idiot.





This leaves us to the conclusion that one can add 1.5" to any measured fish from my next. Making Phil's bull trout from the Chungo a wapping 22.5'' and Jason's 21.5". Just for the record, it makes my bull trout, caught in the top pool on the Blackstone River in the gap section also 21.5" as it measured out at 20" on my net.





Now, the talk of adding weight in the net to reproduce the feel of the fish. Let's say I filled the plumbers tube, measuring straight at 21.5", with sand to 3 lbs to feel like the bull trout. It would simply pull the 21.5" tube further down into the net. Thus resulting in a smaller measurement at for example 10 + 9 inches or 19". Then the inaccuracy of the net would increase to 21.5" - 19" which is 2.5".





So, adding weight is worse. Plain and simple, the net is out 1.5".





I hear this will be decided the old school way. 3 pm sharp behind the school. Or, you each plead your case at the camp over beers.





I'm not sure what I think. For sure, we need more rules around measuring fish for the JBFC 2008.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yup.

yup.

and yup.

Busksaw Smitty said...

I say we settle it with an old fashion bottle off!