Friday, January 9, 2009

Hatcher back from Costa Rica


Lise and I spent the holidays in Costa Rica this year. It was quite the spot, very green and lush, with lots of wildlife. Five foot iguanas, howler and capachan monkeys, sloths, toucans, caymans, and soaring pelicans were common sights. Most of our time was spent on the Pacific coast in the small surf town of Malpais. I was able to try my hand at surfing while there, had a blast. (note to self .... time to build some upper body strength!!!) Most days the temperature was 30'+, beer was cheaper then water and the surfer girls were HOT! (yes Lise, that includes you)

It was a quick trip but did bring my rod with me just in case. After asking a few locals where I could do some river fishing, and a lot of "no place to go around here" responses my new friend Al drew me a mud map to get me to the Rio Bongo. Next day I rented a 500 Grizzly Quad and started off on the 20km run to get there. It was a nice ride, half on the back "roads" and half on the beach. Once at the Rio (That`s spanish for river Ryan) I realized I was a bit ill prepared, it was a beautiful spot but not for the 6wt rod a had and not to be fishing from shore I spent some time playing in the shallows and had 3 or 4 fish follow a few flys in but no takers. Costa Rica is a different place. You cant just venture off and explore as we do here. I would have loved to work my way up the river to where I felt the fish were but the 8 foot crocodile and the 130 snake species I learned about a few days before seemed to change my mind.

I had hoped to get to Lake Arenal for peacock bass on this trip but plans changed, next time!

phil

No comments: