Saturday, April 11, 2009

April - Halifax - Insect/Emergence/Pattern




Here is what I was talking about having on hand in a quick reference laminated book. I took the information from the Tight Lines guide service out of Port Maitland. http://www.tightlines.ca/hatch.htm. He lists for Nova Scotia each month what hatch to expect, when it will happen during the day, and what fly to use. I have stepped it up one, just for you Marky, to help you fuckers catch some fish. I have pulled pictures of the insect and the fly to use off Google and put in one sweet but ugly package. This is only for April. I will hopefully follow with the rest of the months. If I don't, here is what you'll need.
Our Nova Scotia Chart below is based on these observations over the past number of years as they occur in South-Western Nova Scotia, where Tight Lines is located. The hatches are listed in order of appearance, so that the first fly listed is the first to appear as a hatch in the month(s) listed. The chart can be applied generally to the Province by knowing that Halifax will have the same hatches perhaps a week later, and Cape Breton a week after that. "Tight Lines"










4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason, this is a start. Some of the information on the web is conflicting and comes from experience, making it hard to capture in a true sense. Maybe we all prefer some other techniques for these insects? Why don't some of you list your preferences and or what you think of this little project under this comment section? I'd be interested in hearing your experiences with these April bugs. Does this help anyone? I'm not proud, it helped me.

Alberta

Busksaw Smitty said...

Thanks buddy! Now your not getting your name back on the trophy ever again. Jack ASS!

Anonymous said...

I think April looks like an easy one, even for you Ryan! Ha. But, May and June has some flies I couldn't pick out of a box for a piece of Mark's mom. And for that, as Liam would say, I'd look hard. Better put together a cheat sheet. The real one to pay attention to is Late June/Early July when we will be fighting for a spot on the trophy.

ChuckB said...

seems to me someone has waaaaaaaayyyy too much time on his hands!!!!!!!!