Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Stauffer April 2009


17" Sunday

Self portrait.

20" brown spawned out.

20" brown.

19" brown.
___________________________________________________________________
1st fish for Paul and I this year. 1/2 day Friday around zero and full day Sunday about plus three. Fishing wasn't bad. Pretty busy this year with this river being the only one with open water anywhere around here. Met Don Anderson and heard some stories. Learned a lot also. I landed a 19" brown on Friday right away (Jason's fish from last year tight to the bank and across the horse field up from the DU bridge) and nothing else for the rest of the day. I did have a 20+ brown take a run out from under a bank to my woolly bugger in 4" of water but it was all too fast and unreal for my early season hands to figure out. Sunday was a good day. I had a 20" in the morning and Paul had a 17". We left the traffic and walked on a frozen river up from HWY 781 to open water. Hit some pools and eventually the open river. It's spring fed so thaws at the top end and makes its way down. Really cold spring with lots of snow. We landed another 6 or so in the 12-15" range. I missed a lunker in the last pool. Had him, felt like a large log that moved ever so slightly, and missed him. Light hits both days.

No comments: